Preferred Names

Documentation of wish list items that have been submitted by our users.
Gerald Cox
Site Admin
Company: Hurt & Proffitt, Inc.
Brief Company Description: We are primarily a Civil Engineering and Surveying firm that offers a few other supporting services. We upgraded to Vision from Advantage in 2005.
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 70
Company Position: IT Director
Vision Modules: Accounting / Billing / Time & Expense / Payroll / CRM / Proposals / Planning
Number of Offices: 3
Year Vision Installed: 2005
Vision User Group: Richmond, VA

Preferred Names

Postby Gerald Cox » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:26 am

I submitted a request a few months ago to create an option in Vision so that employee Preferred Names display in the software (lookups and employee fields) instead of First Names. This would resolve difficulties in finding employees that do not go by their first names. The option could disregard empty preferred name fields and still reference legal first names for checks and W2s. If you support this, please show it by posting here and contacting Deltek to let them know.

Elizabeth
Brief Company Description: 800+ architecture, engineering, interiors, planning, landscape architecture firm.
Deltek Vision Version: 4.0
Number of Employees: 800
Company Position: Director of Marketing Systems
Vision Modules: CRM & Proposals, Accounting
Number of Offices: 0
Year Vision Installed: 2007

Re: Preferred Names

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:58 am

I support this 100%!!! This is becoming a big issue for us because of the number of employees that use a name other than their "legal" name (with legal name being the name that appears on their social security card primarily). Being a large firm with multiple offices, it is difficult for every user to know every employee's name and if they may have another name that they use day-to-day. Because the preferred name does not appear anywhere, especially in the Contacts info center association tab, our risk of making mistakes is high. I believe that relying on users to always remember to look to see if there is a preferred name is not a solution. Users can go the employee info center too look for a preferred name, but toggling back and forth between info centers is not a good solution either.

Natalie_1136
Number of Employees: 54

Postby Natalie_1136 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:12 pm

We had our IT build something into a SQL table behind the scenes to push Preferred Names (if they existed) to First Name field. We did add another field for the employees Legal First Name so both are shown. That makes the 'preferred' name show up in Lookups.

Gerald Cox
Site Admin
Company: Hurt & Proffitt, Inc.
Brief Company Description: We are primarily a Civil Engineering and Surveying firm that offers a few other supporting services. We upgraded to Vision from Advantage in 2005.
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 70
Company Position: IT Director
Vision Modules: Accounting / Billing / Time & Expense / Payroll / CRM / Proposals / Planning
Number of Offices: 3
Year Vision Installed: 2005
Vision User Group: Richmond, VA

Postby Gerald Cox » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Natalie,

Does this cause you any issues with printing W2s? Someone else took over printing W2s at our company so I haven't done it in a couple of years but I thought it was hard coded to look for Vision's First Name field.

Natalie_1136
Number of Employees: 54

Postby Natalie_1136 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm sorry I do not know, we don't have the Financial piece connected so I'm not sure the impact that would have. We have everything else connected and use it mostly for Opportunity Management and Projects.

Return to “Wish List Items”