Brief Company Description: Marine consulting firm
Deltek Vision Version: 6.1
Number of Employees: 60
Company Position: Technical Aide
Number of Offices: 0
Year Vision Installed: 2010

Workflow to alert Project Managers

Postby AliT » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 am

I'm new to creating workflows, and I've been asked to figure out how to notify all the project managers in our company that all the timesheets have been approved (so they can run project reports.) What's the best way to get this done? I was thinking a scheduled workflow might work, but someone else suggested a web service type workflow. Any suggestions or best practices?

Thanks in advance!
Alice

Gerald Cox
Site Admin
Company: Hurt & Proffitt, Inc.
Brief Company Description: We are primarily a Civil Engineering and Surveying firm that offers a few other supporting services. We upgraded to Vision from Advantage in 2005.
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 70
Company Position: IT Director
Vision Modules: Accounting / Billing / Time & Expense / Payroll / CRM / Proposals / Planning
Number of Offices: 3
Year Vision Installed: 2005
Vision User Group: Richmond, VA

Re: Workflow to alert Project Managers

Postby Gerald Cox » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 am

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Vision has any kind of trigger for when timesheets are actually approved. Timesheet Approval and Timesheet Due alerts are created in the Company Alerts Configuration and not Workflows.

You'd probably have to do something tricky directly in SQL to make this happen. I'd be interested to know if you ever figure out a solution. I've wished for this in the past.

AliT
Brief Company Description: Marine consulting firm
Number of Employees: 60
Company Position: Technical Aide
Year Vision Installed: 2010

Postby AliT » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks, Gerald. The suggestion I received from someone else was to create a timesheet transaction based web service workflow that is run each a timesheet is approved by an approving manager, scanning based on date the statuses of all the qualifying timesheets of active employees for the current timesheet period, and then firing off an email to the PM's when the last timesheet for a given time period is approved. I feel like I dove into the deep end of the pool with this, or stepped into Wonderland again :-) because that seems like a lot of SQL/Vision table knowledge I don't currently have.

Alice

Gerald Cox
Site Admin
Company: Hurt & Proffitt, Inc.
Brief Company Description: We are primarily a Civil Engineering and Surveying firm that offers a few other supporting services. We upgraded to Vision from Advantage in 2005.
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 70
Company Position: IT Director
Vision Modules: Accounting / Billing / Time & Expense / Payroll / CRM / Proposals / Planning
Number of Offices: 3
Year Vision Installed: 2005
Vision User Group: Richmond, VA

Postby Gerald Cox » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 am

Ouch! That definitely does seem like a task. How would you handle employees who are in groups that have multiple Approvers? All of Timesheet groups can be approved by all of our accounting staff.

...I suppose you could relate it to the supervisor field.

LtK
Year Vision Installed: 2011

Postby LtK » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 am

Alice, I would concur with Gerald: this would take some SQL tricks to work. The Company Alert Gerald referred to, "Timesheet Approval," sends an alert to the configured Approver when the associated employee submits a timesheet. I also am not aware of a Company Alert that is triggered by an approval. Further, the web service some one else referenced allows the submit process to be intercepted, and will do what ever validation the programmer of the web service programs into it, but I do not believe the web service would intercept the approval of a timesheet. So the solution suggested to you based on a web service would only be triggered by someone submitting a timesheet for approval; therefore, even the last submitted timesheet would not be approved yet, so at best, you would only know when all but the last timesheet was approved. The web service would never return a "true" (all Approved) condition.

The only solution I see would be to configure a custom SQL trigger against the tkMaster (timekeeper master) table that would fire every time a record was added/modified, that would (via SQL) scan for "all approved" condition based on the [end date] of the trigger record and poke alerts to all of the PM's into the [AlertsDashboard] table.

However, I have not found a reference for all of the alerts and their varying formats in the [AlertsDashboard] table. Further, not so sure adding a custom trigger on a Vision table would be advisable... :o/ However, it is certainly all possible with some intimate knowledge of SQL.

Return to “User Initiated & Scheduled Workflows”