Mac users & Vision

General discussion relating to Deltek Vision.

Mac users & Vision

Postby Shaun Garrity » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm curious who out here has experience with using a Mac to access Vision. I have heard of some firms using Citrix to allow their Mac users to access Vision, but for smaller firms this solution is probably too expensive. Does anyone know of any specific ways that peole access Vision using their Mac?
Shaun Garrity

Re: Mac users & Vision

Postby Gerald Cox » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm Mac dumb, but as long as you can get access to an instance of Internet Explorer you'd be able to access Vision (assuming network connectivity of course). You could use Remote Desktop for Mac to connect to a PC and access it that way, or you could use a Virual Machine software like Parallels Desktop to run your own VM of Windows on your MAC. One of my co-workers runs Parallels to access AutoCAD.
Gerald Cox
Site Admin

Postby kedowi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:42 am

We had a Deltek consultant in who was using CrossOver on a new MacBook Air. Might be worth a look.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
kedowi

Postby heyyou » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Has there been a better solution for this? I recently upgraded our system to version 6.1 and we use to use Crossover but since Crossover does not support .net framework 3.5 SP1, we need a better solution. Parallels is an okay solution but is costly. Anyone have any ideas?
heyyou

Postby mdobler » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:50 am

I just talked to one of our developers and he uses a Mac with VM Ware Fusion on it. He can run all Win apps inside the MacOS, even Visual Studio. And the software is about 70$, so it might be the solution you're looking for

Hope this helps
Michael Dobler
Director Deltek Solutions AB

Banks-Hill Systems Ltd.
Edmonton, AB
Canada
mdobler

Postby Gerald Cox » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:03 am

I was coming back to the forum to mention VMWare Fusion today. I just saw it in PC Mall for $50, but that may be a multi-license deal.
Gerald Cox
Site Admin

Postby pbenito » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:14 pm

For a system that claims to provide "100% web-based technology" this sure seems like a major stumbling block and headache. With all the other technologies for web-applications that are out there it seems almost absurd that users who are not running Windows should have to be looking at alternatives such as citrix, remote desktop, virtual machines, etc.. just for their employees to be able to fill in their time sheets.

In my opinion the Internet Explorer/(dotNet) requirement makes the web-interface a really limited tool if I am away from my work PC. I look forward to a solution that provides the cross-browser compliant functionality that users are coming to expect from web-applications. This should really be a standard, out-of-the-box functionality. Can anyone confirm if having the Mobile Application Suite (MAS) would even be an option for providing cross-browser/cross-platform support, or does it require that the mobile device be running Windows Mobile?
pbenito

Postby Gerald Cox » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 pm

I was told over a year ago that a Blackberry option was being investigated but I didn't put much stock in it considering how heavily invested Deltek is in Microsoft technologies. I also don't see cross-browser compatibility being in option particularly with Vision's move to the Smart Client. Unless AEC firms start suddenly switching to Macs, I honestly don't think Deltek will give this request much thought.
Gerald Cox
Site Admin

Postby mdobler » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:50 am

I have seen some iPhone demos from Deltek on last year's Insight in Orlando but I have no clue if they are still working on that. And yes, Gerald is totally right, with 6.1 anything else but Windows will not be an option for a while. We use VMWare Fusion on Apple Machines and it works really well, Parallels Desktop should work fine too.

And if we are all very lucky, there will be a .net Framework for apple in the nearer future (http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page) but I have no clue if Deltek has any plans supporting this one.
Michael Dobler
Director Deltek Solutions AB

Banks-Hill Systems Ltd.
Edmonton, AB
Canada
mdobler

Return to General