Project Description Management

A forum for Deltek Vision CRM & Proposals.
AliT
Brief Company Description: Marine consulting firm
Deltek Vision Version: 6.1
Number of Employees: 60
Company Position: Technical Aide
Number of Offices: 0
Year Vision Installed: 2010

Re: Project Description Management

Postby AliT » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Cheryl,
You're welcome! Glad I could help!
Ali

bevarts
Brief Company Description: Environmental consultants
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 230
Company Position: Marketing
Vision Modules: CRM, Projects, Custom Proposals, SF330, Timesheet
Number of Offices: 18
Year Vision Installed: 2002
Vision User Group: Boston, MA

Postby bevarts » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 am

Cheryl,

We are trying to embark on implementing project description management through Vision - how has your program worked out?

Beth...

cgunther
Brief Company Description: Engineering Environmental Consulting Firm
Number of Employees: 250
Company Position: Marketing Database Coordinator
Vision Modules: CRM
Number of Offices: 8

Postby cgunther » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Beth,
We've launched our project description (PD) database in Vision company wide. PM's are still reluctant to utilize Vision, although marketing and Pub's uses the PD database often. For the most part it works. We have all of our PD's in Vision attached to the corresponding project number. Searching for a PD is a little more complicated than when we used SharePoint. SharePoint allowed us to quickly do a keyword search and get a list of results (which everyone liked/loved). Although the advantage of having all the info relating to a project (such as the PD, team, costs, client, contacts, marketing mailing lists, contracts, dates, billing info, reports, etc.), in ONE place available at our finger tips (through Vision of course) is very helpful. We also utilize "Workflows" to set up automatic alerts that send notice to the appropriate department/person when changes are made and need to be reviewed (very cool). Some of the workflows also create an "Activity" which we use to track the review process, etc. giving us the ability to maintain QC and the standardization of our product (again very cool). Improves efficiency, highly recommend the workflows.
ISSUE:
The one glitch we have not been able to permanently resolve is the security set-up for our roles, pertaining to this function. Based on our security set-up Vision doesn't allow certain employee's access to see the PD unless they are listed as the Project Manager. This is a problem, because we want everyone to be able to add, edit, and read any/all PD's. Apparently if we give "read only" access company wide to the Projects Info Center then employees that are not supervisors can view and select to view information about other employees which is an issue with HR. In addition we don't want everyone to see certain info. regarding billable rates and cost etc. and with "read only" access employees are not able to update/add new PD's. If given "add/modify" access we run into the same problem as with "read only" and a few more confidentiality/HR related issues. This is primarily due the fact that our employees have access to the Employees Info Center (their employee record only) and in some cases supervisors have access to see their team's records. We can't figure out what combo if any resolves this. I am sure if we took some time to review/revise all of our security roles we could resolve this issue. Although we do not have the experience to know who/what/where to make the changes nor the time to figure it out, YET!
TEMPORARY SOLUTION:
This is not the best way but we did come up with an alternative that is presently operational just not very used/known about. We set up a new role and called it "MARKETINGSEARCH" gave this role "read only" access to Projects, Clients, Contacts, and Reports. Then set up a user "MARKETINGSEARCH" and assigned it to the new role. This way everyone companywide can search for PD's without restriction and see pertaining info and run reports about the project's client/contacts. Obliviously there is the issue that the employee has to login with a different user name, and they are not able to make updates or additions the PD database when logged in as "MARKETINGSEARCH". To do that employee's would have to login back in as themselves, then they could add/update the PD.
Sort of a long answer but I was hoping to maybe get some feedback on my issue with the security roles. Overall, Vision is great has a lot of capability, just needs fine-tuned to meet your needs. Plan ahead!
- Cheryl
Cheryl

bevarts
Brief Company Description: Environmental consultants
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 230
Company Position: Marketing
Vision Modules: CRM, Projects, Custom Proposals, SF330, Timesheet
Number of Offices: 18
Year Vision Installed: 2002
Vision User Group: Boston, MA

Postby bevarts » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 am

Cheryl

I can't believe I didn't see your post prior to this. Thank you for your feedback. I like your approach with the marketing role. We have EXACTLY the same challenge regarding roles and how to provide the best scenario for our PMs to really do what they need when it comes to proposals, historical data, etc without crossing the line of sensitive information.

Much appreciated,
Beth....

AliT
Brief Company Description: Marine consulting firm
Number of Employees: 60
Company Position: Technical Aide

Postby AliT » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Deltek calls this a "reporting" role, IIRC. It's very handy to have set up. :-)

sarahpaul
Brief Company Description: Commissioning Firm
Deltek Vision Version: 5.0
Number of Employees: 50
Company Position: Brand Manager
Vision Modules: CRM

Postby sarahpaul » Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 am

Hey there, I know i'm chiming in on this a little late but I think I might be able to help as well! I am also working on getting the company I work for ready to export proposals from Vision.

I am storing project descriptions on the Project Info Center, on Background tab, under Descriptions. Currently, my company is putting 3 different descriptions there. We have one for 330's, one we call "long" for the project tear sheet, and one called "short" for the resume.

Although you are not exporting proposals you can still store and edit the information here and retrieve it when needed. Starting this process now will make your proposal exporting easier later because this is where they come from on export. It has taken me an entire year to get all our descriptions in so the earlier you start the smoother you process will be later. This also solves any security issue because you can give everyone in your company the ability to add/edit.
-Sarah Paul, MFA
@sarahapaul
www.workingbuildings.com

Return to “CRM & Proposals”