CRM Custom Proposal Graphics Issues

A forum for Deltek Vision CRM & Proposals.
sarahpaul
Brief Company Description: Commissioning Firm
Deltek Vision Version: 5.0
Number of Employees: 50
Company Position: Brand Manager
Vision Modules: CRM
Number of Offices: 0
Year Vision Installed: 2010

CRM Custom Proposal Graphics Issues

Postby sarahpaul » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 am

Good morning all, first let me say that I was sooo happy to find this group. I have such a hard time finding CRM users to bounce questions off of. My company is using the custom proposals feature of the CRM and I have never met anyone else who is doing so. I have attended the Insight conference for the last two years and I have attended local user groups and it is always the same. No one is using it to generate proposals. I am determined to get it working.

So I am 90% there, we are on version 5 and upgrading to 7 in April. I am hoping to have everything working before the upgrade so that training in seamless.

I can't, for the life of me get the resume graphic to work. I am pretty sure I have the macro correct, but when I click "graphic" on that tab in the custom proposal section and then click "resume" (cause that is what i named it in their employee info center tab) and then click "right" so it go in the "selected" box, an outline appears with a red x in it. This is my first indication that something is wrong, but I don't know what. So, when I merge that section and the word file opens, there is no image present. When the word file opens I do have to click the "vision graphic" button and there is a box taking up space but it is empty.

My image is a .gif and here is my macro: Picture<[Graphic: 1],p,1.6,l> and here is my path: D:\Vshare\Sarah\Attachments2Vision\resume\anthonyrhory.gif

I am wondering if this is a path issue. Is there a special place these photos have to go in order to communicate with vision. Right now I just have them in a file on my Vision server.

Thanks in advance!!
-Sarah Paul, MFA
@sarahapaul
www.workingbuildings.com

Karen Sigel
Company: Buchart Horn, Inc.
Brief Company Description: A full-service international engineering and architectural firm, BH was founded in 1945 by friends Clair S. Buchart, AIA and Russell E. Horn, PE. BH was one of the first professional consulting companies to combine engineering and architecture under one roof. That innovation was fueled by a simple premise: it was better for clients if engineers and architects would cooperate rather than compete on projects. Simple ideas are often the most powerful; today the firm’s professional and support personnel serve local, state, and federal government clients around the world.
Deltek Vision Version: 7.0
Number of Employees: 200
Company Position: CRM Resources Coordinator
Vision Modules: CRM & Proposals/MODI
Number of Offices: 15
Year Vision Installed: 1999

Re: CRM Custom Proposal Graphics Issues

Postby Karen Sigel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am

Sarah-

You're right, there aren't many of us using the Proposals module, but my firm has been using it to create our resumes and project sheets since the very earliest legacy versions (1990 or so), so you've found a kindred spirit. It's a huge undertaking to start from scratch, so if you're 90% there, you're doing an amazing job already.

This could be a file format issue. Vision can be pretty fussy about what it will and won't merge. Your code and path look fine to me; my first question would be, are you able to preview the graphic from the link in Vision? And my second is, can you resave the graphic as a jpg, make sure the color space is RGB, and relink it? Let me know what happens.

You're more than welcome to call me, and I can walk through it with you.
Karen L. Sigel
Buchart Horn, Inc.
717 852-1465
http://www.bucharthorn.com

sarahpaul

Postby sarahpaul » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks! Okay so I confirmed my color profile is RGB and resaved as a jpg. When I click the link I get the error message I have attached here.

However, I thought I'd try putting the .jpg on my web server and EVERYTHING works when it is saved there...even the merged proposal.

My web server could be a great back up, but I'd really like to do it the way vision is meant to.

Thoughts?
Attachments
error.png
error.png (12.58 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
-Sarah Paul, MFA
@sarahapaul
www.workingbuildings.com

Karen Sigel
Company: Buchart Horn, Inc.
Brief Company Description: A full-service international engineering and architectural firm, BH was founded in 1945 by friends Clair S. Buchart, AIA and Russell E. Horn, PE. BH was one of the first professional consulting companies to combine engineering and architecture under one roof. That innovation was fueled by a simple premise: it was better for clients if engineers and architects would cooperate rather than compete on projects. Simple ideas are often the most powerful; today the firm’s professional and support personnel serve local, state, and federal government clients around the world.
Deltek Vision Version: 7.0
Number of Employees: 200
Company Position: CRM Resources Coordinator
Vision Modules: CRM & Proposals/MODI
Number of Offices: 15
Year Vision Installed: 1999

Postby Karen Sigel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 am

Hmmm. You've stumped me, but it sure looks like a security issue. Do you have: a) access to Deltek Support, or b) an I.T. department that could take a look? Unless someone else on the forum has a better grasp of the technical end, I'm left with the basics: what version of Internet Explorer are you using, have you added your Vision server address to Trusted Locations in IE, is there a corporate firewall or other filter that's interfering, and stuff like that.

I sent the screenshot to my DBA; he didn't have any brilliant insights off the toip of his head, but suggested you could take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260.

How many locations do you have that will need to or could benefit from access to your graphics? I have no idea how your corporate network is set up, but if you have the ability and capacity to host your graphics on a web server, I'm jealous, because that's what we've been working toward for a couple of years now. Just sayin'. ;)
Karen L. Sigel
Buchart Horn, Inc.
717 852-1465
http://www.bucharthorn.com

sarahpaul

Postby sarahpaul » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Hmm. Now you have me thinking.

Maybe my web server is the right answer. We have 10 offices and all our proposals come out of Atlanta for all our regions. However, it would be a great thing if our regionals could do their own 330s. I am very fortunate that my company invests quite a bit on money in our technology so I think our web server would def. support that.

Thank you so much for your help!
-Sarah Paul, MFA
@sarahapaul
www.workingbuildings.com

AliT
Brief Company Description: Marine consulting firm
Deltek Vision Version: 6.1
Number of Employees: 60
Company Position: Technical Aide

Postby AliT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Vision tends to want graphics to be stored on the Vision server, not locally, as it doesn't know how to find things otherwise. The same thing happens with custom invoice graphics.

Return to “CRM & Proposals”