Modifying Project Baselines

A forum for Deltek Vision Project Planning & Resource Management.
sroth
Brief Company Description: Multi-discipline engineering firm
Deltek Vision Version: 4.1
Number of Employees: 35
Company Position: IT Manager
Vision Modules: Accounting, Billing, Time, Expense, Resource Planning, SF330/SF255/SF254 Proposals
Number of Offices: 0
Year Vision Installed: 2000

Modifying Project Baselines

Postby sroth » Mon May 09, 2011 10:38 am

I'm looking for some advice on project baselines. At our company we create a project plan from our schedule and fee proposal and save it as the project baseline. Then as we progress through the project we modify the plan to accomidate shifting priorities, change in schedule, etc. This allows us to use the plan for resource and billing forcasts. The problem we run into is that if the project has a change in scope we need to modify the original baseline to add the new hours. Is there any way to retreive the project baseline to modify it? Is anybody else experiencing this problem and how do you deal with it? Thanks.

mdiaz1209
Brief Company Description: Architectural firm based out of Phoenix
Deltek Vision Version: 6.1
Number of Employees: 49
Company Position: Business Manager
Vision Modules: CRM, Accounting, Project Planning
Year Vision Installed: 2008

Re: Modifying Project Baselines

Postby mdiaz1209 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:18 pm

This is the one thing that we are struggling with. I have talked to Deltek and I talked to consultants and it appears that our solution to this problem is to use both project budgeting and project planning. The project budget would be considered our baseline budget and can be selected for budgeting reports. The theory is that the project budgeting would be an accounting tool and the project planning is the project manager tool. It will require double entry to set up and it will also require double entry to update the estimated % complete.

We have not implemented this process yet, I am still exploring other solutions because it does seem like a lot of work. I did hear from the 2011 Insight that Deltek will be releasing in their update for the end of 2012, the ability to save the project baseline independently from the project plan. This is a huge thorn in my side and is preventing us from rolling out project planning completely. I'm not happy about having to wait until the end of next year for the solution...

David
Brief Company Description: RTI Health Solutions pharma CRO.
Deltek Vision Version: 6.1
Number of Employees: 0
Company Position: PM
Year Vision Installed: 2011

Re: Modifying Project Baselines

Postby David » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:44 am

Is there any news on this capability to save project baselines independently of the plan? That would help a lot.

Return to “Project Planning & Resource Management”