Getting Buy-In for Planning & RM

A forum for Deltek Vision Project Planning & Resource Management.
jnorman
Brief Company Description: architecture, engineering, interior design firm
Deltek Vision Version: 6.1
Number of Offices: 0
Vision User Group: Richmond, VA

Getting Buy-In for Planning & RM

Postby jnorman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 am

I've been reading through the forum on various topics. Gerald posted his company's CRM procedures, which may help me get buy-in for using those tools. Does anyone wish to share their planning procedures as well? Our company is under-utilizing Vision's features, and having simple processes/procedures to show how to use these features is the best way I can think of to get buy-in from upper management and pm's. I don't mind to doing the hard part (setup and tests) to get them to the easier part. Any suggestions are welcome.

Julie

AliT
Brief Company Description: Marine consulting firm
Number of Employees: 60
Company Position: Technical Aide
Year Vision Installed: 2010

Re: Getting Buy-In for Planning & RM

Postby AliT » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Some questions to ask:
- Are your project managers using Excel to track budgets? Vision can produce reports based on timesheet entry - no need to do double work.
- Does your executive team need to track overall revenue, expenses, and resource allocation? Vision can produce reports that show employee utilization and company profit/revenue/loss - at either cost or billing rates, at a fraction of the time it takes to update a spreadsheet and ensure that all the calculations are right. You can even make simple graphs from the data within Vision.
- Are you prepared to invest the time and resources it takes to customize Vision reporting/queries? Sometimes the answer is a $$ custom report, and sometimes it's just understanding how to configure Vision.

Hope that helps.
Ali :-)

jnorman
Brief Company Description: architecture, engineering, interior design firm
Vision User Group: Richmond, VA

Postby jnorman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks, it helps a little. However, after management viewed a presentation from Newforma on their Project Analyzer, it seems we will forgo using Vision for planning and invest in Newforma Project Analyzer for all project management functions and leave Vision for accounting and timesheets and maybe CRM.

Julie

AliT
Brief Company Description: Marine consulting firm
Number of Employees: 60
Company Position: Technical Aide
Year Vision Installed: 2010

Postby AliT » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Interesting. To me, that would indicate a possible lack of understanding of Vision's project reporting capabilities. At the very least, it means that you're going to be constantly harvesting data out of Vision and/or tracking project data separately. While I'll grant that Vision's project scheduling capabilities are limited, the data that is tracked from timesheets and accounting alone is valuable. You can see Deltek's opinion of project management here: http://www.deltek.com/products/vision/benefitsbyrole/projectmanager.aspx. There's also a great PDF with sample project reports here:http://www.thefitzgroup.com/deltek/pdfs/Vision_Sample_Reports.pdf.

If I were you, I would contact one of the Deltek consulting firms like Central Consulting Group to give your management a presentation/review of what Deltek Vision can do for you in terms of project management/reporting, with an angle that you should use what you already have (save $$$!). It seems like a waste of your existing contract with Deltek to not use everything the software is capable of producing, and a good consultant will help guide you to the right solution.

Ali

Return to “Project Planning & Resource Management”