Upgrading from 5.1 to 7.3

A forum for discussing new installs or conversions from other software.
shells
Brief Company Description: Civil Engineering Services
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 150
Company Position: Systems Administrator
Number of Offices: 0
Year Vision Installed: 2004
Vision User Group: Houston, TX

Upgrading from 5.1 to 7.3

Postby shells » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 pm

We are still on 5.1 (yes, I know). Beginning of the year, I was able to get a test server running 5.1 and go through an upgrade to 7.1 with our data intact. But we had a lot of problems due to custom reports. The migration got stalled and mid-year we got a consultant in to assist with some of the migration issues. Another test of migrating from 5.1 to 7.1 things looked good. Unfortunately, the general steps to perform the migration successfully have been lost (that's another long sad story).

Now here we are at the end of the year and I believe everyone is really ready to move forward with the conversion but accounting wants to do testing with current data before migrating over forever. I called Deltek support and they told me that I can just install 7.3, import my 5.1 database, then run some conversion scripts. Wow, I am really hoping it is as simple as they say. But, I don't believe it is so I am looking for some real world help here. Can someone clarify for me the exact steps I need to take to get my 5.1 data into 7.3? I've been looking for a documentation on this process (for over a week) and just keep striking out.

We are trying to go from Windows 2003/SQL 2005/Vision 5.1 --> Windows 2008R2/SQL 2008R2/Vision 7.3

Thanks.

shells
Brief Company Description: Civil Engineering Services
Deltek Vision Version: 5.1
Number of Employees: 150
Company Position: Systems Administrator
Number of Offices: 0
Year Vision Installed: 2004
Vision User Group: Houston, TX

Re: Upgrading from 5.1 to 7.3

Postby shells » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Deltek support ended up having to help me with this one and we finally got some working data (although reporting is not working properly right now). I am posting what I found out in case it helps save someone 2-1/2 weeks of time.

Initially, this is what support told me to do:

On your test server (providing that IIS and SQL are installed in one box)

- Install SQL 2008 R2 and apply the update SP2 + CU8 to bring the build to 10.50.4290, the supported build by Vision 7.3
- Restore the latest full backup from your 5.1 Vision to the new SQL install
- Download DeltekVision61SP4.sql on this link: https://deltek.custhelp.com/app/answers ... a_id/43088
- Open the script in SQL Management studio, set the database to the 5.1 Vision, then hit Execute.
- Proceed with the installation as described in Deltek Vision 7.3 Technical Installation Guide
- After the installation, Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Deltek\Vision\Databases\Scripts\ folder, then open DeltekVision73.sql in SQL Management Studio, set the database to Vision database, then hit Execute
- Create a Weblink entry for the converted database, then test the connections.
- Login to Vision

I had some problems with the site coming up which require some IIS adjustments - which I missed in the technical install guide.

Additionally support had me do this:

After the 7.3 install,
- go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Deltel\Vision\Databases\Scripts\,
- then double click on DeltekVision73.sql, and it will launch the SQL Management Studio.
- set the database the Vision database
- click on Execute

I finally settled into a place where no matter what I did, I would get this error when I tried to login to Vision.

Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length

At this point, level 2 support had to get involved. They said this error is related to the module codes and I needed to do a full install of 6.2 SP2 so the module codes could get updated.

I attempted to do a full install of 6.2sp2 but would never get prompted for module codes after the install. The error above persisted.

Support ended up converting my data but told me these are the steps they followed (and it worked).

1) Run the DeltekVision62Sp2.sql script on the database.
Run this script on the 6.2 SP2 database: update CFGModuleConfiguration set password = null
2) Log in to 6.2 Sp2 and put in the module codes for 6.x
3) Back up the 6.2 Sp2 database
4) Run the DeltekVision73.sql and DeltekVision73CU005.sql script files on the database to get the database up to date for use with 7.3 CU008.
5) Log in to 7.3 and put in the 7.x module codes
6) Back up the 7.3 database

The missing pieces in all this were - (1) installing 6.2sp2 completely (not just running the scripts). (2) running the CFGModuleConfiguration script so that the module codes could be entered.

At this point, I am able to log in without errors. However I still have some configuration issues with reporting / printing that I need to resolve.

Return to “Vision Implementation & Integration”